Epithets used for Theodosius, for Constantinople, etc.

marja erwin marja-e at RISEUP.NET
Thu Dec 5 17:52:45 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 06:20 -0800, OSCAR HERRE wrote:

> dude goth was their lingo.......and the goth weren't big in
> assimilating other races......they were like the mafia you
> know......our own thing....together we live and together we
> die........

I don't think we're working with the same facts here.

First off, there's the practical question of how the Goths could emerge
in Scythia without to some extent taking in other peoples. Second, there
are people who are known to be Goths who either weren't of entirely
Gothic descent, such as Wulfila, or have non-Gothic names, such as Saba,
Lagariman [I believe that's west Germanic], Farnobius [some branch of
Iranian], etc. If Saba wasn't considered a Goth, then there would be no
reason to demand that he sacrifice to Gothic tribal gods. Third, there's
some suggestion of escaped slaves joining the Goths.

But the tribal name Vesi turns up in the eastern Notitia Dignitatum, in
the 390s, and iirc in a few other texts of the same period.