A short gothic poem

anheropl0x anheropl0x at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 8 07:36:59 UTC 2013

Thank you, Edmund. To add to your points, I can share this passage from Wright's Grammar (pp. 191, SS 433). It's very plain and straightforward, but essentially says the same.

"Voices. Special forms of the passive voice are extant in the present tense of the indicative and subjunctive only, as daupjada (he is baptized); jah thu, barnilo, praufetus hauhistins haitaza (and thou, child, shall be called the prophet of the highest); afletanda thus frawaurhteis theinos (thy sins are forgiven thee); ei andhuljaindau us managaim hairtam mitoneis (that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed). The other forms of the passive are expressed by the past participle and one of the auxiliary verbs wisan (to be), wairthan (to become), as gamelith ist (it is written); aththan izwara jah tagla haubidis alla garathana sind (but the very hairs of your head are all numbered); qam Iesus jah daupiths was fram Iohanne (Jesus came and was baptized by John); gaaiwiskoths wairtha (I shall be ashamed); sabbato in mans warth gaskapans (the sabbath was made for man); gamarzidai waurthun in thamma (they were offended at him)."

So it doesn't come out and say there is no difference between using wisan or wairthan. Nor does it say there is a difference between using a verb's passive forms, except that past participle + aux. verb can cover tenses and numbers that the passive inflections can't.

In essence, filhada = fulhans ist.