Distances (linear measures)

David dec.phd at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Mon Jun 24 23:45:13 UTC 2013

Consulting Lehmann's Gothic Etymological Dictionary, for "rasta" we find:  It is only recorded in acc. sg. in Matthew 5:41, "equivalent of two leagues... one being equal to 1500 Roman paces".  So glossing it as "mile" seems about right.  The etymology is called "obscure", but cf. cognates OE raest, rest; OS rasta; OHG resta.

Lehmann on "aleina" = "ell (distance from elbow to finger tips)", only acc. sg. Matthew 6:27.  Cf. OE eln, OHG elina.  Connected to proto-Indo-European  olina, "elbow".

I hope this is helpful.
David