Translating Shakespeare

OSCAR HERRE duke.co at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Oct 22 14:38:57 UTC 2013

tho fawaizo mannan......fawa being few and fawaizo being fewer......tho batistaizo faur miklisitha dils ist.....the greater the share of glory...

From: "anheropl0x at gmail.com" <anheropl0x at gmail.com>
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:25 AM
Subject: [gothic-l] Translating Shakespeare

So for a challenge I decided to translate the St. Crispin's day speech (please refrain from telling me how fey it is to do so) and I'm quite pleased with what I have so far. But I ask you, the line "The fewer men, the greater the share of glory" is slightly troubling. I can not shake the feeling that Gothic has a peculiar way of saying "the X, the Y" like this. I also am unsure how to render "fewer". Any insight would be much appreciated!