Translating Shakespeare

edmundfairfax at YAHOO.CA edmundfairfax at YAHOO.CA
Tue Oct 22 15:18:45 UTC 2013

I have looked through my materials, in vain. If you are unable to find an example in the Gothic corpus, you may wish to follow the construction in Old English, as it is far more likely to be closer to Gothic than Modern English:

 Swa he bith ieldra, swa he faegerra bith (Bede, eighth century)
 'The older it is, the more beautiful it is'
 (lit. 'as it is older, so it is fairer')

 Yours truly,

 Edmund

---In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, <anheropl0x at ...> wrote:

 So for a challenge I decided to translate the St. Crispin's day speech (please refrain from telling me how fey it is to do so) and I'm quite pleased with what I have so far. But I ask you, the line "The fewer men, the greater the share of glory" is slightly troubling. I can not shake the feeling that Gothic has a peculiar way of saying "the X, the Y" like this. I also am unsure how to render "fewer". Any insight would be much appreciated!