[gothic-l] The pannonicum fragment, transliteration

roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Fri Dec 19 22:08:04 UTC 2014

When I was researching the Gotisch-Projekte http://www.gotica.de website, there was, to my surprise, not any transliteration, so I tried to make it myself:

 http://www.gotica.de/imageEIL.jpg http://www.gotica.de/imageEIL.jpg

 http://www.gotica.de/imageEIL.jpg

 http://www.gotica.de/imageEIL.jpg http://www.gotica.de/imageEIL.jpg

 View on www.gotica.de http://www.gotica.de/imageEIL.jpg
 Preview by Yahoo

 It seems like the Gothic S wasn't used here, and instead the Greek letter Σ  is used. By replacing the Greek Σ with the Gothic letter þ, I get

 Ni þanaseiþs ïm ïn þamma fa
 irhvau * iþ þai ïn þamma fair
 hvau sind * jah ïk du þus gagga.
 atta weiha fastai ïns in na
 min þeinamma þanzei atgaft
 mis * ei sijaina ain swaswe wit * þa
 was miþ ïm ïn þamma fairhvau ïk fas
 taida aïns ïn namin þeinamma * þa
 zei atgaft mis gafastaida * jah

 ainshun us ïm ni fraqistnoda

 It seems like a poem conducted in Gothic to me. This would be the first original non-Biblical Gothic poem

 Some observations from my Gothic knowledge:

 I 'm not longer in this world * but they are in this world * also I go to you.
 Holy Father, keep them in your name which is given to me * so that they
 will be one like us two * which was with them in this world, I kept one in your
 name * I kept one in your name * which you gave me I kept, and no one
 from them will pass away

 Gotisch-Projekte http://www.gotica.de Projekte zur gotischen Schrift und Literatur (Dr. Christian T. Petersen M.A.) Skeireins-Project Bibliographia Gotica  Gotica Bononiensia (new) Das gotische Kalenderfragment