[gothic-l] Totila rec

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Mon Dec 22 11:03:52 UTC 2014

And how does this link help forthis question?

Op maandag 22 december 2014 heeft Sigi Vandewinkel
sigivandewinkel at yahoo.co.uk [gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het
volgende geschreven:

> I've found this web page to be very useful in understanding chance
similarities between unrelated languages:

https://ci3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/pSFCYshfvSlb55haufeCIXcofAMRrsYqKVgWqG0xq1snH9lyIg1Moo2Bt829iwC-nISOSxe4Beby=s0-d-e1-ft#http://www.zompist.com/verddrop.gif

> How likely are chance resemblances between languages?
> How likely are chance resemblances between languages? The first rule is,
you must not fool yourself. And you are the easiest person to fool.
--Richard Feynman
> View on www.zompist.com
> Preview by Yahoo
>
> You can skip the statistical formulas if you're so inclined, but the
article does a great job at explaining probabilities, and how many
"cognates" you can expect when looking over two random languages.

[gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Ah yes, I already thought something like that. I was just joking :P
<gothic-l at yahoogroups.com>:

> At 12:05 AM 12/21/2014, you wrote:
>

> It is not unheard of to find words of similar form and meaning in wildly
differing languages. The Japanese word for 'name' is 'namaj,' but this does
not mean that Japanese and English nouns are related or even that Japanese
borrowed the word from English, or vice versa. This is simply an example of
meaningless coincidence.
> Edmund
> Posted by: edmundfairfax at yahoo.ca
>

> Fair enough. Maybe.
> Aramaic was one of the official languages of the Assyrian Empire and  the
lingua franca of both the Persian and Assyrian Empires.
> Cimmerian and Scythian mercenaries were in Assyrian employ;
> Assyrians (or mercenaries in Assyrian service) in the Caucasus and beyond
it, possibly in southern Russia.

> Ethnic and cultural interchanges between Scandinavia and the eastern
Mediterranean existed, see:

> Cambridge University Press0521604664 - The Rise of Bronze Age Society:
Travels, Transmissions and Transformations, Kristian Kristiansen and Thomas
B. Larsson