[gothic-l] Reconstructing the Gothic Bible and Liturgies

Marja Erwin marja-e@riseup.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Tue Dec 23 03:23:12 UTC 2014

As far as I can see it, we have four problems here:

1. Translating biblical texts.

2. Figuring out which biblical texts were in Wulfila’s canon and which source texts and readings are appropriate. Iirc it was translated from a proto-Byzantine text with some Western readings…?

3. Translating liturgies.

4. Figuring out what liturgical forms were present in the 4th century and which ones were most likely for the Goths.

And maybe

5. Figuring out how to balance the reconstruction of the original Gothic liturgies with the requirements of actual services for various communities.

Some churches read creeds during services. I don’t know how many did in the Fourth Century. Creeds would differ. Age at baptism, formulae for baptism, ways of doing communion, doxologies, whether to include the doxology at the end of the Atta Unsar, etc. could differ. Calculation of Easter could differ. I know that one does differ between Eastern and Western churches, today, because of the Julian and Gregorian calendars. I think it may also differ between both and the Gothic church, because Stilicho had the Roman army attack the Goths while the Goths were celebrating Easter. Inclusive language would be helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Pollentia

I suspect the Arian church has had similar issues, when it comes to reconstruction, but not necessarily all the other issues.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)