Where did Yulfila produce his bible translation?

Weidemyr Basti setiez at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 21 10:37:09 UTC 2014

Thanks Ingemar and Uppsala for the pdf from the Wulfila-symposium!
Carla Falloumini's report particularly caught my attention as it found many readings common to the gothic and old-latin texts. I have read on a few sites on the Internet, speculation that Yulfila probably produced the translation in Moesia. Are you (anybody on the list) aware of any particular reason to think so?

Another possibility would be if it was produced in Arimium (Rimini) in the years following the council of Arimium 359CE. If so, it may have been a partially critical translation based on manuscripts from both Byzantium and Italy, maybe prompted by a need for goths to be able to use scriptures to refute the trinitarian heresy.

I am reasoning like this: manuscripts have been found in northern Italy, but have any been found in Moesia or Dacia? (No?)
Do we know of a scribal tradition in Moesia?

Soon after the gothic translation, the work began on the latin Vulgate in 382CE. Wasn't that probably a reaction to the gothic initiative? Would Rome have reacted so fast if the gothic bible was spread in distant Moesia before coming to Italy?

And why is there no trace of Paul's letter to the Hebrews? Could it be because it was written in Italy as Post-Nicene Fathers has Eusebius writing: "Paul’s fourteen epistles are well known and undisputed. It is not indeed right to overlook the fact that some have rejected the Epistle to the Hebrews, saying that it is disputed by the church of Rome, on the ground that it was not written by Paul."

What do you think?
Regards
Basti Weidemyr