Where did Yulfila produce his bible translation?

ingemar at NORDGREN.SE ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Feb 22 15:47:17 UTC 2014

Hi Basti!
I am not a linguist and hence I can not judge the finer details in his script. We can,however,  conclude he settled in Moesia in 348 and close to the Roman city Nicopolis. He had hence no troubles in getting the latest influences concerning religious matters and trends in Constantinople. To beleive he would have been staying a longer period in Rimini would have implicated that his disciples would have been left without supervision and lecturing for a considerable period.  That society of Gothi minores is characterized by a kind of rural isolationism and his absense would have left them unprotected for extern influence from Catholic missionaries. Also Wulfila himself  seems to have preferred  this isolationism. My conclusion then is that he did in fact write his bible translation in Moesia. Concerning missing parts we must remember that Codex Argenteus only is preserved in fragments. Any kind of earlier original is lacking. If the society in Moesia was a society based on writing is beside the question since what we know only the  work of Wulfila is known from there and that he has himself written. He taught however certainly  how to read and write to his disciples and in time they must have been quite  skilled. It finally evidently resulted in a kind of monastery and became part of the medieval Bulgarian capital Veliko Tarnovo according to Rossen Milev.

Best greetings
Ingemar