Where did Yulfila produce his bible translation?

David Connolly dec.phd at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Sun Feb 23 01:11:55 UTC 2014

Hello,

In case it is helpful to this discussion...  My understanding is that Wulfila's Bible translation activities were reported by an Arian church historian Philostorgius.  He and a Byzantine scholar named Socrates both indicate that Wulfila translated the entire Bible except for the Books of Kings, reasoning that these might "stir up" warlike behavior among the Goths.  If this is true, much has been lost.  (The above is reported in Orrin Robinson, "Old English and its closest relatives", 1992, page 48 - but I have read this same information elsewhere too.)

I hope this is of interest to you.  Best wishes from Ohio.

David Connolly

________________________________
 From: "ingemar at nordgren.se" <ingemar at nordgren.se>
To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:47 AM
Subject: [gothic-l] RE: Where did Yulfila produce his bible translation?

Concerning missing parts we must remember that Codex Argenteus only is preserved in fragments. Any kind of earlier original is lacking. If the society in Moesia was a society based on writing is beside the question since what we know only the  work of Wulfila is known from there and that he has himself written.