AW: [gothic-l] Jiddish related to Gothic?

'Andreas Schwarcz' andreas.schwarcz@univie.ac.at [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Tue Jun 10 14:39:29 UTC 2014

Dear Dirk,

You at least are nearer the linguistic consensus about Yiddish or Jiddisch, which is not a single language but a group of languages spoken and written by the Ashkenaz Jews for nearly thousand years. A very good overview of a difficult question and ist research history can be found in wikipedia under: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yiddish_language

The oldest known written document is a manuscript of a prayer book from Worms dating from 1272 CE, by the way

Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr. Andreas Schwarcz

Department Chair

Department for History

University of Vienna