Jiddish related to Gothic?

Tore Gannholm tore@gannholm.org [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Wed Jun 11 07:52:23 UTC 2014

Hi Dirk,
I understand that this is a sensitive subject for you.

Why my interest?

The Gotlandic Merchant Republic had close relations with Khazaria and Gotlandic Varangians are also known to have served the Khagan.
However the Gotlandic Varangians were about 860 kicked out from the Rus’ Khaganate and there forts were burned. After that they concentrated on Constantinople.

Already in 838 we have three independent sources that a Gotlandic Varangian delegation visited Constantinople that the Gotlanders called Miklagar∂r.

The daughter to a Gotlandic Varangian was married to Basil who after having had the Emperor Michael III murdered in september 867 became Emperor Basil I and the Gotlandic Varangian Ingr’s daughter Indrina became Empress Eudokia Indrina.

When Basil I died in 886 the Gotlandic Varangian Ingr’s daughter’s son Leo becomes the new Emperor Leo VI.

As it says in the Gotlandic history.

The Gotlanders on their travels learned Christian customs and some were baptised and brought priests to Gotland.
The Patriarch Photius writes in beginning of 867 that after the Bulgarians had converted to Christianity the Gotlanders followed eagerly

Tore