Link to my Gothic learning resource and forum

d.faltin@hispeed.ch [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Fri May 16 07:25:36 UTC 2014

Are you sure that "wrieten" can be used as "to write" in Gothic? I would have expected "meljan" or "gameljan". To me "Ik mag wrieten" sounds like Old Saxon/Anglo-Saxon "Ik mag writan", with wrieten (Engl. to write, German reissen) meaning something like to carve (letters/runes into wood). Whereas Gothic "meljan" (compare to German "malen") means to paint/draw letters with ink on paper or vellum.

 Or is that meant as a neo-Gothic adaptation to make Gothic closer to English and thus easier to learn for English-speakers?

 Cheers,