Link to my Gothic learning resource and forum

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Sun May 18 01:50:46 UTC 2014

I want to give a few comments here, I will post again later, as it's late
and I have already spent my whole post on one thing.

Oskar, I would appreciate your help and you can help me in the further, but
first we need to speak more Gothic with eachother, because we can't let
people read texts in Gothic with a lot of mistakes, you need to be
dedicated to using Gothic and first learn to speak the language at a decent
level. I have corrected your text in this post and you can use my
corrections with the reasons why to improve your Gothic.

What Oskar uses is partly Gothic and partly Anglo-Saxon. If he doesn't
mind, I will correct him with my current Gothic knowledge, my grammar is
currently at an elementary level, but I can find some basic mistakes in his
text, I will quote the original text with corrections:

ik mag wrieten faur gutaniskam.....meina guta niu ist glabwuba, auk ik im
gitandand batieza mith ita....
weis skuld wrieten guta ina thizos maglanaidam......

ik mag meljan faur gutaniskam.....Guta meins  nist glabwuba, ak ik im
gitandand batiza mith imma....
weis skulam meljan Guta in thizos ei-mils......

to write = meljan
In Icelandic you have substantive - possessive pronoun, I think it's likely
that this was used in daily Gothic too, not only biblical
ni ist = nist, niu is only used in this way in Gothic: "Is it not?", "Niu?"
Normally you use "ni" for no or not and "ni ist" is combined like "nist"
ak = but, auk means "because" or "too", ak is correct because nist is used
in the previous sentence, which is negative. For previous positive
sentences, the old Goths used "akei".
batiza, it isn't batieza, unless you want to change all the i's from Gothic
in ie's.
imma, ita is the 1st declination, in other words, nominative of "ita", the
3rd declination, dative is used here because of the word "mith", if it was
accusative, this would be correct, because ita is both nominative and
accusative, but it's dative here.
weis skulum, I don't actually know if "skuld" appears in Gothic, for plural
"we", (not the dualis of "we"), you can just remember that -am and -um are
regular suffixes (endings). I first thought it was "skulam", but I looked
it up for this correction and "skulam" is plural dative of "sin, guilt" I
believe, while "skulum" means "we shall".
in can be used for sure I think, ina might be correct, but I 'm not sure.

I recommend to use the gothic phonetic system and write: ei-mils, we could
use the Gothic word for letters, which is something like: aipistaule (of
which I 'm not sure), which can be traced back to Latin "epistula", which I
know (I don't know what it is in Greek, probably the same), but I would
first need to look where I can find OFFICIAL lists of modern constructions
for modern words in Gothic. I believe it doesn't exist, so I might try to
get people together like Benjamin Johnson and the Gotische Verein to design
a list of New Gothic words. It would of course be a great success if we
would able to publish a New-Gothic dictionary, not Old Gothic, for which
dictionaries already exist, but a dictionary for people like here which
want to use Gothic as a conversational language and actually use it, but
can't find words for modern words. Just like with the Hebrew language, we
would need some people to do this and this can't be really done by one
person. Well, with modern words like television I can do some of the word
myself. In German it's Fernseher (far, see-er), in Dutch it is televisie,
English is television and French is télévision (far - seeing) which is all
practically the same. I should just combine "far" and "see-er" in Gothic,
and I can make a modern construction, but for some words like "airplane" we
should make an online council just like the Turkish and Hebrew language
council which make decisions about the language. It would be good to
democratically discuss with some people about modern words. Any interested
ones?