Type Gothic with a Gothic keyboard in Linux (type directly, no websites needed)

Michael Everson everson@evertype.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Mon May 19 08:48:54 UTC 2014

On 19 May 2014, at 02:14, Dicentis a roellingua at gmail.com [gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> It just means that if I go to my keyboards in Linux and I change it to Russian, I can type like this:
>
> здравствуйте!
>
> If I copy this, I will get cyrillic symbols. If I copy a FONT with Russian, you get Latin symbols, not Cyrillic ones.

That’s because a Russian keyboard layout will enter Cyrillic characters into a text.

> I can also change my keyboard to Gothic:
>
> 𐌷𐌴𐌹𐌻𐍃! 𐌹𐌺 𐌼𐌰𐌲 𐍂𐍉𐌳𐌾𐌰𐌽 𐌲𐌿𐍄𐌹𐍃𐌺𐍃!
>
> If I copy this, I will copy Gothic unicode letters instead of Latin ones,

That’s because a Gothic keyboard layout will enter Gothic characters into a text.

> you can't do this with .ttf as far as I know.

Of course you can’t. A .ttf is a TrueType font. A font is used to display text. A font is not used to input text.

> When you copy a text which is generated with .ttf, you get Latin symbols.

Text is not “generated” with .ttf. You are mistaken here. Text is displayed with a font.