Link to my Gothic learning resource and forum

d.faltin@hispeed.ch [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Tue May 20 09:05:33 UTC 2014

Hi

 I agree, any attempt to reconstruct real Gothic must proceed from the other earliest Germanic written texts, the Hildebrandslied and the Muspilli. The Hildebrandslied is not written in Langobardic though, but in old High German, in fact in a somewhat odd mixture of old Bavarian (which was practically identical to Langobardic) and Old Saxon. The Muspilli is in old Bavarian. These texts are from the late 8th/9th century and thus in terms of time closest to the Gothic fragments.
 If you look at an etymological dictionary of Gothic, I am always surprised that so many Gothic words have direct correspondends in Old High German, even if the respective word has since fallen out of use. Hence, the correct strategy would be to replace missing Gothic words with Old High German words and adjust according to the known rules.
 Cheers,
 Dirk

 PS
 I know, Tore, who claims that Gutnish is East Germanic will disagree, but Gutnish is of no particular use here.
 It is clearly a dialect of Old Norse and has never been East Germanic. It is as close or far from Gothic as any other Germanic dialect that is only attested as late as from the 13th century onwards.