Reconstructing Gothic

roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at YAHOOGROUPS.COM
Wed May 28 22:52:53 UTC 2014

Hey guys, it's nice to see such a discussion!

 I 'm currently working on an actual Assimil-style like course to learn Gothic, I will open a seperate topic for it.

 I agree that Hebrew had a big population of interested people and that the Gothic movement is limited. I think however we might get some Spanish and Italian people interested, as Gothic was a historical language of their region. The main aspect why Gothic seemed interesting to me to revive is because it has no remnants, Old Norse has them, Old Greek etc.  but Gothic doesn't have them, so it isn't like we would revive a language which is already spoken in a modern form. I also agree that we should use the words from Wulfilas Bible. We can of course also use words from the Skeireins and the few Gothic documents left from Italy, although those are from a few centuries later and have a slightly different grammar. The fun thing is that you can use the old Gothic grammar, but for a few things also use what we know of the grammar of a few centuries later, since that was Gothic too. There was one person who said that he didn't see a point in reviving Gothic because you could only read the New Testament over and over again. Well, the point is that we could write new literature if we actually learned Gothic and there is already some literature, both modern poems and reconstructed texts.

 I found texts translated in Gothic, but I need to find them again.

 I think that our biggest problem is: how do we promote Gothic?

 There are some people working on a DuoLingo course. What are things which we can translate in Gothic and which are used by a lot of people, except from Wikipedia?