[gothic-l] Re: A poem in Gothic with alliteration

write2andy@yahoo.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sun Feb 8 01:37:54 UTC 2015

I'm having some trouble figuring out some words, though. I can tell the English one isn't a literal translation, but I'm still not fluent in Gothic and reading some things is still hard. Nonetheless, I like the poem from what I can understand.

 I will offer that the Germanic alliterative poems are often created with four stressed syllables (and any number of unstressed as long as the line doesn't drone on for too long), and the first three words have the same sound, whereas the fourth one may or may not (as in, it's up to the author). Just as a guideline for anyone interested in writing this way, even though writing doesn't need to conform to anything.

 You can read more here: http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Article/569784 http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Article/569784