[gothic-l] Blessings in Gothic

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Tue Feb 10 23:09:41 UTC 2015

Dear Albareiks,

 According to Reese's >Music in the Middle Ages< (p. 198), the manuscript you allude to is "B.N. (Madrid) 10029". He writes that the manuscript itself is from the ninth or tenth century and contains "in Visigothic neumes, laments on the deaths of the Visigothic monarchs, King Chindasvinthus (reigned 641-52) and Queen Reciberga (c. 657). These 'planctus,' with Latin texts, are believed actually to date from the 7th century and to be compositions, perhaps, of St. Eugenius."

 Edmund (or Audamunds, if you prefer)

---In Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com, <medieval_music at ...> wrote :

 You won't find them on the internet other than in my songs: I had to dig deep to get those. When I was in university I had access to searching and getting inter-library loans from anywhere in the world. I found an obscure book from a university in Spain and got it through inter-library loan. I don't remember the name of the book offhand but I did make photocopies of all the melodies, only a few of which I used on the last album. I'm going to be digging those out soon, and when I do I can pass along the name of the book. The Visigothic melodies are written in neumes and are said to date to as early as the 7th century. I was certainly impressed that something like that had survived.