[gothic-l] Re: is Gothic the language of one or a few men?

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Wed Feb 11 17:02:21 UTC 2015

Oscar, they were is better to say, except for the Spanish royal family
there aren't really any people anymore with real Visigothic blood, like
there are people with say, Swedish or Italian blood.

Op woensdag 11 februari 2015 heeft OSCAR HERRE duke.co at sbcglobal.net
[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

> the lingo has been fluent throughout the gothic pilgrimages.....they are
still and were a well polarized group of people....im sure some were
bilingual in communicating mith other peoples and languages

[gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Dear Roel,
> This is a rather antiquated view now. One sometimes comes across similar
claims for German, such that Luther is seen as the "father" of Early Modern
German. The idea is not so much that Gothic was spoken only by a few, but
rather that the Bible translation "standardized" Gothic, that is, created a
literary standard for Goths of varying dialects. Such a view is entirely
speculative, however, since we do not know how much dialectal variation
there was amongst Goths, or how great it was, or whether the language of
the Bible translation was felt by Goths to be a novel creation. Always ask
for proof.