[gothic-l] Re: is Gothic the language of one or a few men?

write2andy@yahoo.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Wed Feb 11 21:59:26 UTC 2015

I have a question about "gais" and "ges": do you mean there were instances of Gothic names with "ges" in them? I know Vandalic names often had "ges" (misspelling for "geis"), but I've never come across a Gothic one, though maybe I don't know many Gothic names. It's entirely possible that the Gothic language was split into dialects; again, the personal names found amongst the Vandals are significantly, but not dramatically, different from their supposed equivalents in Gothic; we see "eils" as compared to "hails", etc. Wulfila's Gothic was probably a literary standard (which wasn't so standard in that Wulfila jumps from spellings like "goþs" to "gods", but I blame pronunciation).