[gothic-l] Re: is Gothic the language of one or a few men?

write2andy@yahoo.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Thu Feb 12 21:26:04 UTC 2015

Of course diacritics are modern when referring to Gothic, but I personally prefer them for pronunciation purposes. I think we should reach some sort of consensus: I think we should use them in teaching tools like textbooks or when teaching a class, but not in the regular literature (as in, it would be up to the author whether or not to use them), because you should have learned the pronunciation when learning the words. Children's books may be an exception here. Also, when proposing a neologism, so we can know its pronunciation.

 It's true much of them may be in the Vatican library, and I get the feeling that with the Vatican there is/would be a mild anti-Gothic sentiment.