[gothic-l] Gothic Language Corner 11

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Fri Feb 13 00:11:00 UTC 2015

Hello Edmund,

Even before I read about pronunciation in academic works I assumed that, as
Wulfila was basing himself on Greek which didn't have a diphthong that it
was much more logical to me to pronounce all instances of "ai" as "e" and
"au" as a short "o".

I have a question though, Koebler for example has reconstructed several
instances in which "ai" is pronounced differently, is this simply a mistake
and do they all have the same pronunciation, or is there a difference?