[gothic-l] Gothic Language Corner 11

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Fri Feb 13 11:43:42 UTC 2015

This is only logical. Why would Wulfila make it difficult for the Goths by
using one symbol for different phonetic values.

Op vrijdag 13 februari 2015 heeft edmundfairfax at yahoo.ca [gothic-l] <
gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

> Dear Roel,
>
> I'm not sure which features you are referring to here: the division into
elements or the presence or absence of an accent over <ai>. As to the
former, the separation is to break down the word into its part
etymologically: thus "af-airz-jan" says as much as prefix af- + root -airz-
+ infinitive ending of an i-stem. As to the latter, the acute accent over
the 'i' of <ai> indicates that the vowel captured by <ai> does NOT descend
from Proto-Germanic /ai/. I cite here a passage from Lambdin's
>Introduction to the Gothic Language< (2006, p. xiv) concerning this
convention:
> "Since the early years of Indo-European studies it has been a convention
in Gothic grammars to indicate the historical distinctions between ai [with
acute accent over the 'a'] = PG *ay, the diphthong [ay] as in 'nice', and
ai [with acute accent over the 'i'] = PG *i. A third ai, printed with no
diacritic, is allegedly found prevocalically in a few words, i.e. saian (to
sow), faian (to find fault), waian (to blow), where it corresponds to PG
*ae, the [ae] of 'at, sat' but longer. And likewise for au [with acute
accent over the 'a'] = PG *aw, the diphthong [aw] in 'house', au [with
acute accent over the 'u'] = PG *u and au [no accent] = ?PG *o [long o] or
[long u]. We see no need to follow this convention since it implies that
each of these digraphs actually had these three different pronunciations in
Gothic, for which there is no evidence whatsoever."
> As to Robert Pfeffer's readings, he, of course, follows modern thinking
on <ai> and <au> and pronounces them as monothongs. He goes very quickly,
but the only thing I would question is his pronunciation of /h/. He
pronounces it as 'ch' in German 'Bach, Fach, Buch' etc. The fact that <h>
in the Gothic Bible is subject to assimilation (e.g. jah than > jath than)
or outright loss suggests, rather, that the <h> was more likely like the
'h' in ModE 'hand, hold' etc. Moreover, he does not attempt apparently to
capture a phonemic difference in vowel length, which I am somewhat inclined
to think is possibly right, although most Gothic scholars today usually
maintain a system wherein there is a meaningful difference in vowel
quantity, thus the 'a' in '-hah-', for example, is thought to be twice as
long as the 'a' in 'was.'