[gothic-l] Re: Jiddish

OSCAR HERRE duke.co@sbcglobal.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Thu Feb 19 08:34:24 UTC 2015

Yiddish don't have nothing to do mith gothic......yiddis niu habans ni waihts mith gutarazda...

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 12:45 AM, "Yair Davidiy britam at netvision.net.il [gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

At 02:16 AM 2/19/2015, you wrote:

Does this explain the adoption of Yiddish by Jews in the East?

http://hebrewnations.com/articles/16/ashkenaz.html#a5
 In simplified terms from ca. 850 CE right up to 1850  the
process westward was reversed and Germans began moving back towards the
east.  Areas close to Germany such as Prussia eventually became
German in language and culture. Further east, in places such as Poland
and Rumania, townships were  set up by German settlers. The local
non-Germanic rulers often considered themselves a different race from
those they ruled over. They encouraged Germanic settlement. Natives who
settled in these towns accepted German culture and eventually were
considered ethnic Germans. (Occasionally it worked in the opposite
direction. Numerous Germans from Saxony settled in Hungary, adopted the
Magyar tongue and henceforth were regarded as native Hungarians.) Jews
too were part of this process.  Jews settled in the towns. Like
everyone else they adopted the language already prevailing in the
townships. Even Jews in the countryside regarded themselves as associated
with the town communities. In the earlier stages the prevailing dialect
in the townships was a type of southern German. This had a seminal effect
in the formation of the Yiddish Language.

>David: The age isn't necessarily important here, as Hebrew is older than
all six of the living Celtic languages, but it doesn't mean those people
who say the Celts were a lost tribe of Israel are right. There's so
little linguistic basis for it (besides a few coincidences, which can be
seen between Yiddish and Turkish in "kop" and "kafa",
which are only the same by coincidence).

>However, we know the Khazar Empire disbanded in the 11th century--just
around the time Yiddish was already developing over in
Germany.