[gothic-l] Re: Translating creeds?

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sat Jan 3 21:04:36 UTC 2015

Presumably the neologism "godans jiulans" is supposed to mean 'Merry Christmas.' The creator of the neologism evidently decided on a masculine rather than neuter noun, used here in the plural (presumably after the Old Norse 'jol,' which was typically used in the plural). Following the formula '(I wish you / may you have) a good X,' in imitation of the much later idiom, one still found today in Modern German 'guten Tag,' he put the noun phrase into the accusative ('-ans' is the acc. pl. ending for both masc. a-stems and an-stems).

 Edmund

---In Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com, <write2andy at ...> wrote :

 Okay. But I'm still wondering why the plural for the month name is an -stem when the singular is an a-stem?