[gothic-l] Re: Roeland

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jan 28 23:25:43 UTC 2015

Dear Roel,

 I suspect that 'Roeland' is simply a variant of 'Roland,' which according to Foerstemann's >Altdeutsches Namenbuch< is in turn a variant of OHG 'Hrodland.' The early Germanic equivalent of the first element would be 'Hrothi-' (cf. Gothic 'hrotheig-') and '-land-', both of which are fairly common elements in early Germanic onomastics. The expected Gothic equivalent then would *'Hrothilands'. As early Germanic personal names could also be shortened to form nicknames, the expected hypocorism of this reconstructed name would be *'Hrothja' or *'Hrotha' (cf. OHG 'Hrodio, Hrodo'), amongst other possibilities.

 As to the earlier reference to the Heidermanns article, note that this is only an article in a journal. Any public library should be able to procure for you a photocopy of the article through their Interlibrary Loan Service. If you live near a university library, almost certainly such a library would carry the journal itself.

 Edmund

---In Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com, <roellingua at ...> wrote :

 I already found the supposed good combination:  Hroþananþs  (hroþs = fame + nanþs = brave, while "nand" changed to "land" later, therefore hroþananþs doesn't look at all like my name Roel. I 'm jealous at Edmund that his name is still recognizable :p  xD  )

 I have a question by the way, my first name is Roel and it's an abbreviation of Roeland. What would it be in Gothic? It's a combination of  fame + bravery, but I can't find good words in Gothic which still look like "roe" and "land".

 Hails Audamunds,

 I have looked up his book at the website of the most extensive library which is close to me and it doesn't mention this author. So I don't really see a way to get my hands on this book for only looking up this information and I don't intend to spend (a lot of) money to only know 1 aspect of Gothic grammar, if I would buy a book for a lot of aspects of the Gothic grammar it would be a different story and I would spend money on it.

 Golja þuk,

 Roel

   Dear Roel,

 The brief treatment of adverbs at the aforementioned site is incomplete and misleading. The best detailed scholarly discussion of Gothic adverb-formation is Frank Heidermanns' article "Der Ursprung der gotischen Adverbien auf -ba" (1996, >Historische Sprachforschung<, pp. 257-275), which I would strongly urge you to consult.

 Note that it is not true that -ba forms only adverbs of manner: e.g. abraba 'greatly, very' is an adverb of intensity, not of manner.

 Nor is it true that -o does not form adverbs of manner: e.g. e.g. sprauto 'quickly'.

 As the Heidermanns article shows, the choice between -ba and -o is determined not by semantic considerations but rather by morphological factors; in other words, it is form not meaning which is the decisive factor here.

 Edmund

---In Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com mailto:Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com, <roellingua at ...> wrote :

 Ok, I have found a different answer in the course of Todd B. Krause and Jonathan Slocum: http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/gotol-5-X.html http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/gotol-5-X.html

 Suffix -ba. This suffix generally derives adverbs of manner from associated adjectives

 Suffix -ō. This suffix frequently derives adverbs from adjectives.

 This basically means that, if an adjective explain how something is done, you use -ba and otherwise you can use -o.

   Dear Roel,

 As I stated in the original post, -o appears to be the usual adverbial ending for adjective stems ending in -isk- and -eig-, cf. 'thiudisko' (from *'thiudisks'), 'witodeigo' (from *'witotheigs').

 Edmund

---In Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com mailto:Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com, <roellingua at ...> wrote :

 Awiliudo þus Audamunda, (Edmund = auds + munda)

 Skeireins þeina waila filu ist, satja þo her undaro, haba fraihna:

 (your explaination is very good, I 'll put it under here, I have a question:)

 Magum in waurdam miþ -isk- aiþþau -eig- nauh -o brukjan, þau þata unraihta brukein Gutiskons razdos waurþi?

 (Can we use -o in words with -isk- or -eig-, or would that be incorrect use of the Gothic language?)

  In the case of Gothic, the adverbial suffix -o appears to have been non-productive specifically with simplex adjectives (= non-derived ones). In other words, it had become lexicalized in such cases, and the learner simply had to memorize which adjectives took this ending. The suffix -ba, on the other hand, appears to have been productive and was used everywhere except where there was already a lexicalized form with -o.

 In certain cases, however, -o is regular:

 1) in the suffix -leiko: e.g. 'aljaleiko, antharleiko, lathaleiko.' With most of these, there is NO corresponding adjective in '-leiks.'

 2) adjectives suffixed with -isk- and -eig-: e.g. 'thiudisko, witodeigo.'

 In other words, -o was regularly only in conjunction with other derivational suffixes.

 As to the vowel before the suffix -ba, that is determined by the class to which the adjective belongs. The majority of Gothic adjectives belong to the a-stem class, and this 'a' will appear before -ba, thus:

 abrs (a-stem) - abraba
 ainfalths (a-stem) - ainfalthaba

 but:

 hardus (u-stem) - harduba (although 'hardaba' is also extant)

 For more details on the formation of adverbs, see Heidermanns' article "Der Ursprung der gotischen Adverbien auf -ba" (>Historische Sprachforschung< 1996, vol. 109, pp. 257-275).

 You may wish to look over my post of 4 Dec. 2014, which explains the formation of adverbs.

 Edmund