[gothic-l] Re: is þar sind correct as they are?

Dicentis a roellingua@gmail.com [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sun Mar 1 18:42:16 UTC 2015

Oscar, we correct you because we want to help you to learn Gothic. If we
don't tell you that your version isn't proper Gothic that wouldn't be nice
of us, because you would continue to use wrong Gothic in that way.

Op zondag 1 maart 2015 heeft OSCAR HERRE duke.co at sbcglobal.net [gothic-l] <
gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

> you are insulting me when you tell my versions are wrong......I ve been
going thru goth the last ten years....sure I don't know a lot of words yet
but im still learnimg......

[gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> No thanks. Learn some Gothic first. There are several websites that can
help you with that, as well as a ton of people here, including myself,
willing to help you learn. But you need to open your mind and stop
insulting us. It defies logic how you can be dead wrong about something and
then get upset at us. We're here to help, not diminish.

> That should sound familiar to a Gothic line, that everyone should have
run by at least once.

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 12:25 PM, OSCAR HERRE duke.co at sbcglobal.net
[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> hows about some f u man....
>
> On Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:23 PM, "Johann Dröge anheropl0x at gmail.com
[gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> What's with the random "mith" thrown in there? Can't say it all in one
language?

> How about you stop insulting others while you get everything wrong. We're
having a discussion here and you're adding nothing but detracting a lot.

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 12:18 PM, OSCAR HERRE duke.co at sbcglobal.net
[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> hey johan watch your shit mith me man.....
>
> On Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:15 PM, "Johann Dröge anheropl0x at gmail.com
[gothic-l]" <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Whether or not it is taken from Greek, I can not say. But it makes sense
to me. Russian actually does kind of the same thing, but obviously Russian
is not close to Gothic... not unless you want to get into a large debate
lol.

> The Germanic languages that I know seem to all have their own way for
stating the existence of something. For example, German's "es gibt" is
quite different from English "there is/are"

> Es gibt = it gives
> Det finns = I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it means something
like "it finds"? I don't speak Swedish yet. :c
> Það er = Much closer to English there is
>
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Dicentis a roellingua at gmail.com
[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Yes Johann, you confirm what I thought. An admin of the Gothic wiki told
me that thar ist for existence is fine, but I disagreed with him because I
can't find that in the Gothic Bible. But is it possible that "ist" is taken
over from the original Greek and there is for existence is used in other
early Germanic languages?

> Op zondag 1 maart 2015 heeft Johann Dröge anheropl0x at gmail.com [gothic-l]
<gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

>> Oscar is a fucking idiot.
>>

>> Back to the topic, not making up fake words and claiming others should
"take lessons"...

>> I just use ïst or sind. Your example is a little bit difficult to do
directly, but I might write it as:
>> Manna waurkjands/a ïst.
>>
>> But! If you are actually trying to point out his/her/their location
(There is a working man, as opposed to here is a working man) then þar or
jainar can be used. But in English, the phrase "there is/are" can be used
to simply state the existence of something, without referring to any actual
location.

>> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Dicentis a roellingua at gmail.com
[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

>>> I studied Braunes grammar and Wrights book and I read a lot in the
Gothic bible, and you tell me to take lessons lol, where did you read that
nonsense of sindamma.

>>> Op zondag 1 maart 2015 heeft OSCAR HERRE duke.co at sbcglobal.net
[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

[gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> het volgende geschreven:

or þar sind can be used as meaning there is or there are too, like:

and isn't it better to use what the Bible uses?