Re: [gothic-l] Re: is þar sind correct as they are?

Marja Erwin marja-e@riseup.net [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Sun Mar 1 22:25:32 UTC 2015

On Mar 1, 2015, at 3:04 PM, Dicentis a roellingua at gmail.com [gothic-l] <gothic-l at yahoogroups.com> wrote:

> Marja, I recommend Lambdins book to learn Gothic.

Thank you. I have Wright’s and Bennett’s, already. I see that Lambdin’s should be easier to learn from, although Wright’s is easier to refer to.

At this point, I am more interested in understanding Gothic history, society, and so on, than in learning the whole language. I think Heather and Matthews, “The Goths in the Fourth Century,” is the best intro there.

And for the relationship between language and society, Green’s “Language and History in the Early Germanic World,” is a good follow-on.

I think, either way, a good solid glossary, from Gothic to [modern language] and [modern language] to Gothic, with a sense of the frequencies of these words in biblical Gothic, (e.g. Sacred: weih- (often), hailag- (never).), would be useful.