[gothic-l] Gothic Language Corner - Giant Addendum

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Mon Mar 2 21:34:18 UTC 2015

Dear Gerry,

 A further addendum. It would appear that you did indeed read somewhere that "the Norse 'risi' suggested size, 'joetunn' strength, and 'thurs' stupidity." Cleasby-Vigfusson's >Icelandic-English Dictionary< (p. 498) gives the following:

 "In popular Icel. usage risi denotes size, jotunn strength, thurs lack of intelligence."

 Cleasby-Vigfusson note further, however, that the word risi "is very popular (even more so than jotunn) in modern tales, but is only found once (in the compound berg-risi) in old poems."

 To what extent Modern Icelandic usage reflects that two millennia ago is very uncertain; the latter comment from Cleasby-Vigfusson suggests that the modern distinction may not have held in Old Norse.

 In Old English, the words 'ent' and 'gigant' are the common terms, while 'eoten' is restricted to poetry, and 'thyrs' is not common.

 As to etymology, Cleasby-Vigfusson also note that the alternative form of 'risi,' namely 'vrisi,' shows that "the word has no connection with the verb risa, and the root is unknown.'

 Edmund

---In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, <edmundfairfax at ...> wrote :

 Dear Gerry,

 The reconstructed *thauris (masc. a-stem) would decline like any other masc. a-stem noun: sa thauris, this thaurisis, thamma thaurisa, thana thauris; thai thaurisos, thize thaurise, thaim thaurisam, thans thaurisans.

 As to the etymology of *wrisja:
 Orel's >Handbook of Germanic Etymology<  and the Duden >Herkunftswoerterbuch< suggest a connection with Greek 'rhion' (< *wrison) 'peak, headland' -- giants are in fact associated with mountains in Nordic tradition.

 As to the etymology of *thurisaz:
 In his >Etymological Dictionary of Germanic< Kroonen states "no clear etymology. The standard connection with ON thyrja 'to rush' < *thurjan- is formally possible, but semantically uncompelling. Perhaps rather related to Icel. thursi m. 'quarrel, anger, rage.'" Orel suggests a source in *thurenanan 'to dare.'

 As to the eytmology of *etunaz (the source of ON jotunn, OE eoten):
 the common view is that it is from *etanan 'to eat.'

 Edmund

---In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, <Grsartor at ...> wrote :

 About the differences in sense between the words for a giant: I read somewhere that, if I recall it right, the Norse "risi" suggested size, "joetunn" strength, and "thurs" stupidity. I also think I read somewhere that the first of these was related to the English verb "rise", or Norse "risa". But if the original form is something like "wrisja" this is presumably not so.

 One last thing, a question from someone that does not know how to reconstruct original forms of Germanic words, or any other for that matter: if "thauris" is an a-stem, how is it declined, e.g., what is the genitive?

 Gerry T.