[gothic-l] Re: brano

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Thu Mar 12 22:36:06 UTC 2015

 The Norse word 'Brana' does not mean 'heifer' but rather is "a freq. name of a cow" (Cleasby-Vigfusson, >Icelandic-English Dictionary< 1962, p. 76), cf. 'Bessie the cow, Fido the dog;' as well as a name of a giantess (De Vries >Altnordisches Etymologisches Woerterbuch> 1977, 53). It is likely an o-grade variant of the zero-grade 'brun-' 'brown' and, originally at least, meant something 'Brownie.' A "brana" appears in Old Spanish Latin deeds with the meaning 'iuvenca.' It is, however, a huge leap to assume that the Medieval Latin 'brana' is specifically a Gothic loan, and further that it has preserved an earlier "Gothic" meaning and that it is cognate with Old Norse 'Brana' (which is but a name based on a colour), above all, when Gothic is not the only possible source for this Medieval Latin 'brana' in Spain.

 Edmund

---In Gothic-L at yahoogroups.com, <write2andy at ...> wrote :

 I based it off of the Wiktionary page for *kuz, which it says means cow. I just worked my magic and then came up with the forms based on the declension table I found there.

 "Stiur" means steer or bull; also good to know: "kalbo" means calf, and "brano" is a word for "heifer" I found as based on ON "brana".