[gothic-l] Re: Some neologisms

edmundfairfax@yahoo.ca [gothic-l] gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
Fri Mar 13 02:30:40 UTC 2015

Goths, Vandals, Suevi, and Alani were all active in Spain during the migration period, and so there are other possibilities. While Hispano-Latin "brana" does look Germanic (it is not clear whether br- would have shifted already or would have shifted at all to vr-/rv- in the Iranic language of the Alani, cf. Ossetic 'aervad(ae)' 'brother' from Proto-Iran. *'bratar-'), such a subjective appraisal counts little in the science of historical linguistics. I do not have an etymological dictionary of Latin at home but will see what I can find out at the university library.

 Edmund

---In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, <write2andy at ...> wrote :

 That's neat, I didn't know that. I didn't do much research on it. I think it's possible that "brana" could be from Gothic, yes? Where else do you think it would come from?