Inquiry -- Creoles as heritage languages

sm167 Scott_G_McGINNIS at umail.umd.edu
Thu Apr 26 21:45:00 UTC 2001

From: Malcolm Finney <mfinney at csulb.edu>

Most of my research on Creoles has involved Creole languages used
outside of the US, their origins (including possible African roots) and
their historical  influence on the development of African American
English grammar. There is however a Creole used in the US that has been
extensively studied: Gullah Creole, used by Blacks along the coast of
South Carolina. John Rickford of Stanford University does his primary
research on Creole languages and may be a useful contact (I don't have
his email address handy). You could also consult his book: "African
American Vernacular English" (1999), Blackwell Publishers, for
references and comments on Gullah Creole. John McWhorter of University
of California, Berkeley may be another useful resource.

I subscribe to an internet discussion group - Creolist. I'll try to get
additional information from that list and pass it on.

Malcolm