Book: LATINO STUDENTS IN AMERICAN SCHOOLS

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Fri Aug 10 13:38:32 UTC 2001

Announcing a New Book by Guadalupe Valdés

Learning and Not Learning English:
Latino Students in American Schools

"A rich qualitative and compelling case for attending to the complexity and
power of acknowledging and being responsive to language learning inside and
outside those places we call school." —Eugene E. García, Professor and Dean,
University of California, Berkeley

"Riveting, courageous, and forthright.  Dr. Valdés exposes the inequities of
the lack of access to knowledge that middle school and high school immigrant
students face in the teaching and learning of academic English, and shows us
that we need to seriously revamp how we teach English as a second language
or we will continue to fail future generations."
—Barbara M. Flores, Professor of Education, California State University, San
Bernardino

"Helps the reader see how access to English and to academic knowledge is
denied by the same structures and policies that aim to help.  In essence,
Valdés documents how schools and children collude to not learn, the
frustration of children when their motivation structures are shattered, and
the structures that become the traps of the system."—María E. Torres-Guzmán,
Program in Bilingual/Bicultural Education,
Teachers College, Columbia University

Focusing on the lives and experiences of four Mexican children in an
American middle school, the critically acclaimed author of Con Respeto
examines both the policy and the instructional dilemmas that surround the
English language education of immigrant children in this country.  Using
samples and analysis of the children’s oral and written language as well as
an examination of their classrooms, school, and community, this book
addresses the difficulties surrounding the teaching and learning of English
for second language learners. This comprehensive volume discusses:
·	classroom activities
·	the amount of time it takes to “learn” English
·	how English language learning affects learning in other areas
·	the consequences of linguistic isolation
·	how ESL students are tested

It also presents exclusive data on academic English development at various
stages in a two-year process that raise important questions about current
ESL teaching policies.

Guadalupe Valdés is Professor of Education and Professor of Spanish and
Portuguese at Stanford University.

Available now from Teachers College Press
192 pp./Paperback, $23.95 (ISBN: 8077-4105-1)/Cloth, $52 (ISBN: 8077-4106-X)
Order toll free: 1-800-575-6566