Inquiry: Surveys using non-native languages

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Jul 11 19:14:56 UTC 2001

Date:  Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:53:01 +0900
From:  Nicolaas Hart <nic at kwassui.ac.jp>
Subject:  The language used in surveys of non-native populations

	One of the main reasons for creating clear survey questions is to
ensure that the people surveyed understand what information is sought. Even
so,
many surveys of minority groups, immigrants and foreign student populations
are conducted in a language other than their first language. This raises
a number of questions which I hope you are able to help me find answers to.

What research has been done on the affect of using non-native
(non-first-language) language surveys?
How do such surveys affect the people surveyed?
How do they affect the statistical accuracy of the survey?
What are the main problems in translating the surveys into the native
language?
What research articles are available on this in Canada?

Nicolaas Hart
Lecturer
Kwassui Women's University
Nagasaki