FYI: Threats to Title VII grant funding by the new administration

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Mon Mar 5 20:16:54 UTC 2001

	I'm happy to see that the heritage language conference will be
happening.  I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but we found
out at the NABE conference that the Bush administration will try to
eliminate Title VII grant funding(and I believe Title I as well) and
create block grants to distribute to the states.  We know what this
will mean for states like California and Arizona.  The other important
piece is that he has not written in any grandfather clause for those
grants already in operation so that a project such as ours (teacher and
personnel training) could be eliminated.  In addition, any grants which
were submitted December and January for this year's competition are not
being read, a moratorium has been instituted.  These are perilous times
for bilingual education.  I would urge all who are interested and
comitted to this issue to contact your congressional delegation.

Yvonne

Yvonne Thibodeau, Project Coordinator
Project Mainestay
5732 Hannibal Hamlin Hall, University of Maine
Orono, ME  04469-5732
Phone: (207) 581-2085           Fax: (207) 581-3803