Inquiry: Asian (Chinese, Japanese and Korean) language heritage l earner research

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Thu Mar 15 16:14:31 UTC 2001

Please respond directly to the originator of this inquiry --
jeffrey at hawaii.edu

	We are looking for studies that have looked into linguistic and
psycholinguistic
learning trends exhibited by heritage learners that may suggest
differences
in the way they are acquiring the language as compared with non-native
learners.
We are looking for "solid" research involving "informants", as
differentiated
from policy or field review papers.

	Below are a few articles that I have been able to dig up so far.

Please do not let the list fool you as it contains mostly the type of
articles we are NOT looking for, but which do provide insight into the
logistical issues related to accomodation of heritage learners.  If any
such research related to either Japanese or Korean comes to mind,
perhaps
you could mention that as well?

	I thank you in advance for any leads you can provide.  Best
regards,

					Jeffrey

?	?	?	?	?	?	?	?	?
?
			    Jeffrey J. Hayden
			     (ÍõÁú¾Ô/¤ýÀs¾s)

Department of East Asian				   Moore Hall
382
Languages and Literatures			      1890 East-West
Road
University of Hawai'i at Manoa			       Honolulu, HI
96822

eFax:  413 - 487 - 0389

jeffrey at Hawaii.Edu			 http://www2.hawaii.edu/~jeffrey

I feel like a juggler running out of hands.
--Elvis Costello

!	!	!	!	!	!	!	!	!
!

References (Somewhat) Related to Heritage Learners of Chinese

Gallagher, M. W.  (1999).  Special curricula for English-speaking
learners
at Chinese community schools.  In M. Chu (Ed.), Mapping the course of
the
Chinese language field: Chinese Language Teachers Association Monograph
(pp. 313-330).  Kalamazoo, MI:  Chinese Language Teachers Association.

Kotenbeutel, C.  (1999).  National standards for foreign language
teaching:  The Chinese connection.  In M. Chu (Ed.), Mapping the course
of
the Chinese language field: Chinese Language Teachers Association
Monograph #3 (pp. 257-270).  Kalamazoo, MI:  Chinese Language Teachers
Association.

Walker, G. L. R.  (1996).  Designing an intensive Chinese curriculum.
In
S. McGinnis (Ed.), Chinese pedagogy:  An emerging field.  Chinese
Language
Teachers Association Monograph #2 (pp. 181-227).  Columbus, OH: Foreign
Language Publications.

Walton, A. R.  (1996).  Reinventing language fields:  The Chinese case.

In S. McGinnis (Ed.), Chinese pedagogy:  An emerging field.  Chinese
Language Teachers Association Monograph #2 (pp. 29-80).  Columbus, OH:
Foreign Language Publications.

Wang, S.-H. C.  (1999).  Teacher training:  Meeting the needs of the
field.  In M. Chu (Ed.), Mapping the course of the Chinese language
field:
Chinese Language Teachers Association Monograph #3 (pp. 25-38).
Kalamazoo, MI:  Chinese Language Teachers Association.

Wen, X.-H.  (1999).  Chinese language learning motivation:  A
comparative
study of different ethnic groups.  In M. Chu (Ed.), Mapping the course
of
the Chinese language field: Chinese Language Teachers Association
Monograph #3 (pp. 121-150).  Kalamazoo, MI:  Chinese Language Teachers
Association.