Inquiry: Theme/Rheme Analysis in Spanish

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Mon May 21 20:30:32 UTC 2001

Date:  Thu, 17 May 2001 23:38:02 -0300
From:  Susana Rezzano <susana at unsl.edu.ar>
Subject:  Theme in Spanish

Dear list:

I am trying to apply Theme/Rheme analysis to Spanish clauses, based on
Systemic Functional Linguistics, and I am faced with some
difficulties. I hope someone can help me.

As you may know, the unmarked option in declarative clauses in Spanish
with a pronominal subject is with elliptical subject. For example:

¿Donde está Juan? (Where is Juan?)
Salió de compras (Went shopping)

My question is, in a clause such as "Salió de compras", should we
consider
that the Theme is the verb  (the first experiential element) or that the
Theme (él) is elliptical?

Another question:
In Spanish, pronominal objects precede the verb in Spanish. For example:

¿Donde está Juan?
Lo vi en el bar  (Him saw in the bar)

 Of course, the subject is elliptical here too, and this relates to the
previous question. But, in case I decide not to analyse Theme as
elliptical
subject "I", do you think is better to analyse Theme as just the
pronount
"Lo" (first experiential element) or both the pronoun and the verb?

I will be looking forward to your comments!!

Susana