Some general list usage issues

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Nov 13 14:25:29 UTC 2001

Good day, all,

Just a couple reminders for both newcomers and oldtimers:

(1) Because of the way the Majordomo listserv system works, all postings to
the list have to go through
the listserv administrator (= me). So if you attempt to post something and
don't see it sent out to the list
immediately, rest assured that I will post it ASAP. Generally speaking, if
you send out something for
posting during a weekday, it will get posted almost immediately;
understandably, things that you send
out on an evening or over a weekend will not.

(2) Likewise because of the way the system is set up, if you simply respond
to a posting on the list by
using you "reply" function -- even if you choose "reply to all" -- it will
only go to me and not the originator
of the message, since I am technically the poster of all messages. I try (so
far as is humanly possible)
to make the message originator's e-mail address relatively easy to find, but
sometimes mistakes are made.
Do keep this in mind if you want something to go ONLY to the originator of
the message and not the list
IN TOTO -- otherwise I will assume (unless I see that it is something of a
very personal nature) that you
do want all on the list to read it.

Thanks,
Best,
s.

Scott McGinnis
Executive Director
National Council of Organizations of Less Commonly Taught Languages

Associate, Less Commonly Taught Languages
National Foreign Language Center
7100 Baltimore Avenue, Suite 300
College Park, MD  20740

voice:   301-403-1750, x18