Book: Community heritage language preservation

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Wed Nov 14 16:17:16 UTC 2001

      ANNOUNCING A NEW PUBLICATION FROM CALIFORNIA TOMORROW. "And Still
We Speak... the story of communities sustaining and reclaiming their
languages and cultures" by Laurie Olsen with Jhumpa Bhattacharya, Mamie
Chow, Ann Jaramillo, Dora Pulido and Jesus Solorio.

And Still We Speak is a beautiful new book filled with the powerful
voices of youth, parents, community elders and teachers speaking of
their work to ground and connect - or reconnect - young people to a
language and cultural heritage at threat of being lost.  And Still We
Speak includes case studies of heritage language programs and dual
language programs.  Language groups included are:  Khmer, Navajo,
Spanish, Armenian, Yiddish, Igbo, Korean, French (Cajun and Creole) -
plus cultural heritage programs in Chicano, Muslim, Chinese-American,
African American, Indian communities.

Suitable as text for university courses, reading groups and professional
development -- as well as for gifts!

Jim Cummins (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education: Modern Language
Center) says:  "This book powerfully articulates what should be obvious
to all who believe that education should nurture human potential: that
the collective linguistic knowledge of the nation, of families and of
individual children are resources to be fostered rather than destroyed."

Sonia Nieto (University of Massachusetts) says:  "And Still We Speak
reminds us that rather than cower at our differences, we must rejoice in
them.  The essential lesson to be learned from this magnificent book is
quite simple: honoring our many cultures and languages will not diminish
us as a people, but only strengthen the legacy we hand to our children."

To order:  Send $32.00 per book (plus $2.56 tax and $5.00 shipping and
handling) to California Tomorrow, 1904 Franklin Street #300, Oakland CA
94612.  Course adoption/bulk sales discount available.  Or order online
at: www. californiatomorrow.org.  For more information, call (510)
496-0220.