FYI: Endangered Language Fund Grants Announcement, 2001

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Nov 20 19:23:20 UTC 2001

Please note that due to space limitations in Majordomo postings, only
the names and project titles of the recipients are
included here -- contact ELF's website (listed below) for fuller
details.

 ELF Awards 10 Grants in 2001

     The Endangered Language Fund is pleased to announce the grants
awarded in 2001. Thanks to the generosity of our members, we were
able to fund ten of the sixty proposals that we received this year. The
selection was harder than ever, as more and more worthy proposals are
submitted. We hope to be able to expand our fundraising so that a larger
proportion of these efforts can be funded.

     Two projects were funded for work in Oklahoma, thanks to the
generosity of the Kerr Foundation. As in the previous year, the
=46oundation's grant allowed us to promote work in this language-rich
portion of the U.S. One grant, spearheaded by Joyce Twins, will allow
the Cheyenne-Arapaho tribe to record materials for the teaching of
Cheyenne. Another grant will allow Justin Neely, a member of the
Citizen Potawatomi Nation, to apprentice himself to the some of the last
truly fluent speakers of Potawatomi. Both of these projects will result
in
the collection of material that will soon be irreplaceable.

     We invite you to become a member, to help us stem the tide of
language loss.  Pick up a form at
http://www.ling.yale.edu/~elf/join.html.

     Here are the ten awardees:

     Justin T. Neely (Citizen Potawatomi Nation), Potawatomi Language
Preservation and Apprenticeship Program

     Mary D. Stewart (Sto:lo Nation), Preservation and Revitalization of
the Upriver Halq'emeylem Dialect Language within the Family Entity

     Angela M. Nonaka (UCLA), Saving Signs from Bhan Khor:
Documentation and Preservation of an Indigenous Sign Language in
Thailand

     Mildred Quaempts (Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian
Reservation), Umatilla Immersion Camp

     Paula L. Meyer (Claremont and San Diego State), Baha California
Tiipay Comparative Dictionary

     Marina Dmitrievna Lublinskaya (St. Petersburg U.), Collection of
Audio Material in the Nganasan Language

     Kristine Stenzel (U. Colorado), The Wanano Project

     Kenny Holbrook (Capitola, CA), Instruction in Northeastern Maidu

     Zarifa Nazirova (Tajik Academy of Sciences), The Vocabulary of the
Traditional Culture of the Ishkashim Language

     Joyce Twins (Cheyenne and Arapaho Tribes of Oklahoma), Cheyenne
Pedagogical Materials

Marcia Haag (U. of Oklahoma) and Laura Gibbs (Talking Leaves
consortium) will lend their expertise to this project as well. Creating
this
material while there are still native speakers with us is of the utmost
importance. While many tribes are recreating their languages from
historical records, those still blessed with native speakers can create
much more usable curriculum with modern technology, which lets us
preserve the sounds of language in addition to writing it down.

The Endangered Language Fund
Dept. of Linguistics
Yale University
P. O. Box 208236