Inquiry: Stress in Algonquian

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Tue Oct 9 15:36:10 UTC 2001

Please respond directly to Tomasz Wisniewski. The email address can be found
at the end of the text.

I hope someone can help me solve the following problem.

I've read a number of papers and books about Algonquian languages
(especially Cree and Ojibway) and I've never found anything about
pitch or stress.  It is neither marked in texts nor discussed in
otherwise detailed phonetic introductions.

In the sound files found on the internet I can hear some syllables
"stressed", but I cannot deduce anything, since I can't separate
words, and I can't say what the role of syllable length and sentence
intonation is.

Can anyone give me details about the nature and placement of stress in
Cree and Ojibway?

I will appreciate all answers.

Tomasz Wisniewski
tomwisn at yahoo.com <mailto:tomwisn at yahoo.com>