FYI: Ken Hale

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Thu Oct 11 16:26:15 UTC 2001

Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:34:52 -0400
From: Peggy Speas <pspeas at linguist.umass.edu>
Subject: Ken Hale

It is with great sorrow that I report that our beloved mentor Ken Hale
passed away on October 8, at his home in Lexington, MA.  There will be
a memorial service on November 1, at 2pm, in the Wong Auditorium, Tang
Center, MIT, Cambridge, MA.  Ken had asked that any donations in his
memory be made to the Navajo Language Academy.  The NLA is an
organization of Navajo scholars who were trained and inspired by Ken.
It is dedicated to various educational activities designed to help
Navajo bilingual teachers in their efforts to maintain the Navajo
Language.  Checks made out to the Navajo Language Academy, Inc. may be
sent to Peggy Speas, Treasurer, c/o Dept. of Linguistics, University
of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003.