Electronic resources: Regarding Arab Americans

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Thu Sep 13 19:07:43 UTC 2001

The following forwarded from the Asian American Journalists Association via
one of our Maryland faculty members -- a possible resource for all of us
involved in language learning and teaching, REGARDLESS of the language.

Subject: [NAPAWF] AAJA urges responsible coverage of Arab Americans

Asian American Journalists Association urges media
to continue responsible coverage on Arab American communities

San Francisco (Sept. 12) - As we cover the horrific events of Sept.
11, the Asian American Journalists Association urges the nation's
news media to continue the responsible reporting on our nation's Arab
American communities that has marked coverage so far.

Our profession has the opportunity and the responsibility to inform
the public about the many facets of this national tragedy. At the
same time, we can help ensure that the devastating events in New
York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania do not lead to further
injustices against other Americans. Arab Americans, along with all of
us, are victims of this attack.

Already, there is much concern within Arab American communities in
our nation about the backlash that might result from Tuesday's
attacks. These fears are fueled by reports that link these attacks to
Arab or Islamic terrorists.

The Detroit Free Press has put together an excellent guide for
journalists titled, "100 Questions and Answers About Arab Americans."
The guide is available online at
http://www.freep.com/jobspage/arabs/index.htm.

The following web sites and published articles can also serve as
valuable resources for journalists covering this national tragedy:

Arab American Anti-Discrimination Committee -  http://www.adc.org/
Arab American and Chaldean Council -  http://www.arabacc.org/
Arab American Chamber of Commerce - http://www.arabchamber.org/
Arab American Institute: http://www.aaiusa.org/
Arab Film Distribution: http://www.arabfilm.com
"Arab - Americans, Muslims Fear Backlash" by the Associated Press -
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Attacks-Arabs-and-
Muslims.html?searchpv=aponline
"Bay Area Muslims fear reprisals, misplaced blame" by the San Jose
Mercury News -
http://www0.mercurycenter.com/premium/local/docs/backlash12.htm

AAJA is a non-profit membership organization with about 1700 members.
Our mission is to encourage Asian Pacific Americans to enter the
ranks of journalism; work for fair and accurate coverage of Asian
Pacific Americans; and increase the number of Asian Pacific American
journalists and news managers in the industry.

Our thoughts are with all the victims of the attacks.

# # #

For Immediate Release: September 12, 2001
Contact: Aki Soga (802) 660-1866; Mediawatch at aaja.org