Discussion: Community colleges offering Arabic?

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Mon Sep 24 13:16:59 UTC 2001

I have proposed to our community college to offer Arabic.  I feel
it is a way to inspire understanding as well as to provide a service at this
moment.  In my opinion, there will be a need to provide servicemen, airline
employees, and others with basic Arabic in the near and not so near future.

Could anyone tell me if my feelings are well founded?  Is there a market or
do you think there will be a market for Arabic in the near future?  Is this
something we could attempt or am I setting up for failure?

I would truly appreciate you honest reply,

Engracia A. Schuster
Associate Professor of Spanish
Onondaga Community College
Syracuse, NY