Request for assistance: Scandinavian& colonial heritage language learning

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Fri Sep 28 00:15:58 UTC 2001

Please respond directly to the originator of this message, Kari Lie, at
kari at karinorsk.com

For my MA thesis I looked into heritage language learning- specifically
with the Sami people of Scandinavia and examined the bilingual
programming that is offered in Norway as it does not resemble other more
'accepted' models of bilingual programs.

The area of heritage language learning has really interested me and is
something that I hope to continue with in a Ph.D. program.  I am
specifically interested in looking at colonial heritage language
learning and looking into Scandinavian heritage languages for a
dissertation.  I decided that I wanted to take a year to teach between
my MA and Ph.D. and am now in the process of picking a Ph.D. program
where I could continue with this topic within either an SLA or Applied
Linguistics dept. (NOT solely Linguistics).

I am having difficulty finding faculty who have done research in this area
(specifically with colonial heritage language learning or learners) within
this type of program.  I know that this area is the more overlooked than
indigenous and current immigrant, but I was wondering if you could give me
some advice as to faculty doing research in this area- or for that matter,
is there anyone?  I feel like I have searched every program in North
America...
but I am hoping that you know of something that I have overlooked.
If there really is notmuch to choose from do you know the dept.'s well
enough to know which might be open for this?  Or is my best bet writing
a variety of professors from a variety of institutions?

I have had some contact with the University of Hawaii (Dr. Chaudron) but
it does not look like I would be able to focus on this type research
there (but I still have my fingers crossed!).

Any information and/or contacts you would suggest would be a great help!

Thanks for your time,

Kari Lie