Inquiry: Reading a language one doesn't speak

Scott McGinnis smcginnis at nflc.org
Mon Feb 4 17:06:51 UTC 2002

Colleagues:

I have been asked to reflect on my ability to read languages I do not
speak (at least not fluently). I suspect that we can take some
instruction from people who read Latin, for example. The point is to
reflect on "what it is that one is doing" when reading a language one
does not speak. I am somewhat familiar with some of the ESP literature
(e.g. doctors in Venezuela who read medical journals in English, but
don't speak English). Is there any other literature on this phenomenon
that I can be pointed toward?

NB: One focus of interest of the person who asked me are Deaf people who
have never heard English and have not be trained in an "oralist"
tradition and yet read it. It is not clear to me that this is the same
phenomenon, but maybe.

Any help would be appreciated. Respond to the whole list if you think
your comments would be of general interest, or to me directly at
<ruizr at email.arizona.edu>. Thanks. /rr/

Richard Ruiz
Department of Language, Reading and Culture
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721
ruizr at email.arizona.edu
520-621-1311