Research funding: NIH Research on Family Literacy program

sm167 Scott_G_McGINNIS at umail.umd.edu
Thu Jan 17 14:38:00 UTC 2002

Dear Colleagues:

The National Institute on Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
and the National Institute on Aging (NIA) of the National Institutes
of Health, the National Institute for Literacy (NIFL), and
U.S. Department of Education (ED) are pleased to cosponsor a series of
technical assistance workshops on Adult and Family Literacy. We are
sincerely hoping that linguists will decide to avail themselves of
this research opportunity as we are seeking multidisciplinary
applications.

These workshops are aimed at assisting those interested in responding
to the recently published research solicitation, RESEARCH ON ADULT AND
FAMILY LITERACY, which can be accessed at:
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-HD-02-004.html
Linked with this solicitation is "Adult and Family Literacy: Current
Research and Future Directions - A Workshop Summary," also available
on the world wide web at:
http://www.nichd.nih.gov/crmc/cdb/AFL_workshop.htm

Each workshop will feature presentations by Federal government experts
and nationally recognized researchers with expertise in grant writing,
the peer review process, and research methodology. In order to
facilitate your participation, we have scheduled workshops in various
geographic regions.  The first workshop will be held on January 28th
at the U.S. Department of Education at 555 New Jersey Avenue,
Washington, D.C.  Other workshops are currently planned for San Diego,
California on February 6th and Houston, Texas on March 15th.  For more
information on these workshops and to register, please contact Esther
Roberts at eroberts at hq.row.com or call (301) 294-5400.

By attending a workshop, you have an excellent opportunity to learn
about the grant writing and review process, types of research
questions, designs and methods that are most likely to be able to
address the questions in the solicitation, and to have your questions
about the solicitation answered by the authors of the solicitation. In
addition, you will be able to meet and network with others interested
in the important but under-researched areas of Adult and Family
Literacy.

The ultimate goal of the workshops is to improve our ability to meet
the literacy needs of low literate adults and of families who wish to
foster the literacy development of their young children. Many of the
members of the targeted research population are minorities, many of
whom are English language learners, and many of whom live in poverty.
Thank you for your efforts and interest in this crucial area of
research. Linguists are encouraged to participate.  We look forward to
working with you.

On behalf of the interagency partners,

Peggy McCardle, Ph.D., MPH
Associate Chief, Child Development and Behavior Branch
NICHD
PM430 at nih.gov
301-435-6863