Response RE: Article in 10 June TIME RE: endangered languages

sm167 Scott_G_McGINNIS at umail.umd.edu
Sun Jun 9 01:19:00 UTC 2002

This is a response to the posting of yesterday (Friday 7 June)
afternoon.

BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE

My wife is the linguist but I had to reply to this one; please pass this
along if you are comfortable with it.

I have been watching and arm-chair studying media for 20+ years and I have
NEVER seen an article, watched a story, or heard a report in the major media
that, when I knew the subject, they got it right.  Never.  Not once.  No
matter how simple or straight-forward the story (an example would be a list
of 4 people receiving an award--they got one name wrong and mixed up who did
what).  Now you have a typical, if tame, example from your own area of
expertise.  Please keep this in mind at all times and especially when they
cover emotionally charged and/or complex things like: "global warming;"
"deadly asbestos;" "the terrorist threat to nuclear power plants;" "the poor
in the U.S.;" etc.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Aaron F. Beard